- Title: ITALY: Fashion designer Georgio Armani speaks about his career
- Date: 21st January 2003
- Summary: (U7) MILAN, ITALY (JANUARY 21, 2003) (REUTERS ) (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ARMANI SAYING: "This job is something you cannot do without. Fashion is something that you need to live. But you shouldn't take advantage of people's good faith. You shouldn't take advantage of the craving that people have to have something beautiful to wear. You just need to do things with great attention, with great logic. Attention to prices, to markets, make distinctions, all this things that a few years ago was seen as useless. Till a few years ago fashion was seen as something essential, designers were everywhere on TV, they were myths. We need to give everything a right dimension. We do a beautiful job, but it is a profession not a myth." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ARMANI SAYING: "Now everything is a trend. Everything is mixed. Not even creators have a personality. Trend kills creativity, it kills personal research. If one has the gift to be creative then one has the right and the duty to be creative and show it. It's what I've always been trying to do."
- Embargoed: 5th February 2003 12:00
- Location: MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Fashion
- Reuters ID: LVA3RJTJWA3JZMTX5BV7BQ759D2G
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Internationally renowned fashion designer Georgio
Armani has spoken exclusively to Reuters about his career as a
guru of style and emphatically stated he would continue to
design despite being past normal retirement age.
"I feel exactly as I did when I started. I've something
less now because I have some more years... But my enthusiasm
is the same every time as it was for my first collection" said
Giorgio Armani, the patriarch of Italian fashion, reflecting
on his career during an exclusive interview with Reuters.
Armani, who will turn 69 next July, has made history for
his deconstructed jackets and his elegant, relaxed suits for
women and men, spoke about his view of fashion and of the
The fashion guru said fashion is something one cannot live
without but designers should avoid trends, cultivate their
personal creativity and never take advantage of people's
to wear something beautiful.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None