- Title: RUSSIA: Moscow embraces first spring day with heavy snowfall
- Date: 1st March 2013
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (MARCH 1, 2013) (REUTERS) ST. BASIL'S CATHEDRAL AND KREMLIN TOWERS IN SNOW CLOCK ON KREMLIN TOWER SEEN THROUGH FALLING SNOW VARIOUS OF KREMLIN IN SNOW VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON BOULEVARD IN SNOW TREES IN SNOW PEOPLE WALKING TO RED SQUARE WITH ST. BASIL'S DOMES SEEN IN SNOW TOURISTS TAKING PICTURES IN SNOW (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENT ANTON, SAYING: "I don't like this weather much. We expected more. But at least it's warm. Even though it's kinda wet." TOURISTS WALKING IN SNOW (SOUNDBITE) (English) ITALIAN TOURIST RODOLFO, SAYING: "It's not so cold. I thought it would be more cold. So now with snow it's like in Italy." MAN SHOVELLING SNOW STREET WORKER WALKING WITH BROOM CARS DRIVING IN SNOW STREET WORKER CLEANING SNOW FROM PAVEMENT WITH BROOM STREET TRAFFIC IN SNOW PEOPLE WALKING IN SNOW TWO TRACTORS IN PARK REMOVING SNOW TWO BOYS PLAYING IN SNOW PANORAMA OF BOULEVARD IN SNOW
- Embargoed: 16th March 2013 12:00
- Location: Russian Federation
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA3RTCE1OFKA8LKD230XZANGLEV
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Moscow welcomes spring in a distinct Russian style as heavy snow blankets the capital city.
Moscow residents woke on Friday (March 1) to find their city blanketed in thick fresh snow.
Snow fell steadily overnight and in the early morning, coating the Russian capital after about two weeks of sunny spring-like weather.
The first day of actual spring brought a change though with temperatures around zero Celsius and flakes of wet snow.
Residents and visitors to Russia's capital city, however, were undeterred by the weather, even saying it was quite warm compared to previous winter months.
"I don't like this weather much. We expected more. But at least it's warm. Even though it's kinda wet," Moscow resident Anton said.
Thousands of workers with brooms and shovels, snow ploughs and trucks were clearing snow from streets.
"It's not so cold. I thought it would be more cold. So now with snow it's like in Italy," Italian tourist Rodolfo said, his face half-covered by a fur jacket.
Weather forecasts predict the weather to become much colder in the coming days in Moscow with temperatures dropping to minus 19 Celsius over the weekend.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None