- Title: FRANCE: DISSIDENT IRANIANS DEMONSTRATE IN PARIS AGAINST TEHERAN EXECUTIONS.
- Date: 2nd December 1981
- Summary: CU Anti-Iranian banner "Halt the Massacres in Iran" 0.37 GV PAN Iranians moving off for march 0.48 SV Demonstrators carrying placards marching through streets (2 shots) 1.12 GV PAN Police trucks following demonstration 1.20 InitialsBB Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 17th December 1981 12:00
- Location: France, France
- Country: France
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA3W9ECYY84ETM99CEX5XRKR1ZO
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: INTRODUCTION: The recent wave of political executions in Iran has enraged dissidents from that country who have fled abroad.Several hundred demonstrated in the French capital on Tuesday (1 December) calling for an end to political and religious persecution in their homeland.
SYNOPSIS: The protestors gathered at a Metro station in the ministerial district of central Paris.Although drawn from several diverse dissident groups the demonstrators were united in their hatred of Ayatollah Khomeini's Islamic government in Iran.Pictures of atrocities, alleged to have been perpetrated by the Teheran authorities, were handed round.Paris has become a favourite refuge for Iranians who have fled to Islamic Republic since the revolution which ousted the Shah in February 1979.
It is the recent increase in political killings in Iran that has donee the most to unite the exiles.Up to 2,000 people have been executed by the fundamentalist authorities since June.
The demonstrators marched towards the French Foreign Ministry to register their protest.They included supporters of former President Abolhassan Bani-Sadr and of Mujahedin guerrilla leader Massoud Rajavi.Over 100 Mujahedin members have been executed in Iran since a bomb explosion outside a Teheran station last week for which they were blamed.The movement's office in Paris say that revolutionary leader Ayatollah Khomeini ordered the bombing to justify further executions of his political opponents.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None