- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: Two men arrested over Buckingham Palace break-in
- Date: 7th September 2013
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 7, 2013) (REUTERS) (MUTE) FRONT PAGE OF THE SUN WITH HEADLINE READING 'BREAK-IN AT THE PALACE' DETAIL OF FRONT PAGE TITLE READING 'BURGLING'EM PALACE'
- Embargoed: 22nd September 2013 13:00
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVA3Y4YMSWG4GVXIYJ4TXG6CU761
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: British police have arrested two men after a break-in at Buckingham Palace earlier this week, one of the most serious security breaches at Queen Elizabeth's London residence in about 30 years.
A police spokesman said one man was found in the palace in an area that is open to the public during the day at about 10.30 p.m. on Monday (September 2). He had scaled a fence to gain entry to the palace grounds.
He was arrested for burglary, trespass and criminal damage, while a second man was arrested outside the palace on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary. Both men were released on bail.
An investigation is underway.
A mother and daughter who had just visited the Palace said the incident was worrying.
"When you just go to visit they haven't... they have so many security procedures there already, so for someone to get in when it's closed and there's meant to be a lot of security stuff going on, it is quite scary, because you think, where else could they have got into ? Especially when she is home, they might be able to get in again which is, you know," the daughter said.
"She is not resident at Buckingham Palace at the moment, but yes of course it is, it's quite worrying," said her mother.
The police said no member of the royal family were at Buckingham Palace at the time of the incident. Queen Elizabeth usually spends August and September in Scotland at Balmoral Castle.
Royal security expert Ken Wharf said the incident was the price to pay if the Queen wanted to continue to welcome visitors on the ground of the Palace.
"It does happen and it will happen again simply because you cannot give anything 100 percent security when you allow access so close by the general public which... And this is a global tourist spot, one of the most visited places in the world. And yes we could tighten it up, we could be shut down, we could raise the perimeter fence, you could have rabid dogs in the ground, you could have, as I said this morning, jars of hot tar on the roof if you want that. But the whole point is the Queen and the Royal family want to be accessible to the public, not only nationally but internationally. And with that comes a price," Wharf said.
It is not the first time intruders have broken into Buckingham Palace.
The most famous security breach was in 1982, when Michael Fagan scaled a palace drainpipe and broke into the queen's bedroom where she was sleeping. He reportedly sat on the bed and chatted to the monarch before he was arrested.
Buckingham Palace had no comment to make on the incident, saying it was a matter for the police.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None