- Title: UNITED KINGD0M: Reading Festival kicks off with Kings of Leon.
- Date: 31st August 2009
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) MAGIC ALAN, SAYING "I've come to see some bands and just enjoy the music." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ALEXIA, SAYING "Kings of Leon tonight, they'll be good and Arctic Monkeys tomorrow."
- Embargoed: 15th September 2009 13:00
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA3YDH5FAMOB68D3YIV8AJ19W97
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: One of Britain's last music festivals of the summer, Reading Festival, kicks off with headline acts Kings of Leon, followed by Arctic Monkeys on Saturday and Radiohead Sunday.
The annual Reading music festival kicked off on Friday (August 28). Organisers are expecting more than 80,000 festival goers to turn up over the weekend. With headline acts such as Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead, all tickets already sold out.
Some revellers have been coming for years. "It's on another scale. Normal festivals are down there and then reading is up there. Everyone is on the same level, they're just here to have fun, get drunk and just have a laugh." Said friends Craig and Matt.
Crazy Rob, dressed as Buzz Lightyear has been coming for 13 years.
"Awesome, Every year is better and better, different people, your friends come along, you have a great time, meet new people and have loads of fun," he said.
Although the day started with rain, the afternoon quickly turned sunny with the crowds waiting for things to kick off.
The three-day festival is one of Britain's popular summer music festivals and one of Europe's largest. Friday's line-up also sees indie band Florence and the Machine, that was nominated for a Mercury Award. It finishes on Sunday (August 30).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None