- Title: POLAND: Poland summons Ukrainian ambassador amid concerns over protest crackdown
- Date: 11th December 2013
- Summary: WARSAW, POLAND (DECEMBER 11, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF POLISH FOREIGN MINISTRY (SOUNDBITE) (Polish) FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN MARCIN WOJCIECHOWSKI SAYING: "We analysed the situation, and we still hope for a compromise via dialogue. We appreciate the declarations of Ukrainian Prime Minister and the Ukrainian Interior that there won't be any use of force against the demonstrators at face value. But we emphasize that words should go along with action." VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF POLISH FOREIGN MINISTRY
- Embargoed: 26th December 2013 12:00
- Location: Poland
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA4237H30K9S3OA8TQVRUUBPLW1
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Poland summoned the Ukrainian ambassador on Wednesday (December 11) to express concern over the use of force against demonstrators in Kiev, the Polish foreign ministry said.
The ministry said in a statement that Poland condemns the use of force against peaceful demonstrations and expresses its "earnest solidarity with the Ukrainian society that is peacefully protesting in the name of European values".
The spokesman for the Polish foreign ministry, Marcin Wojciechowski, said that after analysing the situation, Poland still hopes for dialogue. "But we emphasize that words should go along with action," he said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Ukrainian riot police stormed Kiev's City Hall to try to force out anti-government protesters who have occupied the building, the protesters said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None