- Title: MIDDLE EAST: Palestinians show solidarity with prisoners on hunger strike.
- Date: 4th May 2012
- Summary: CHILDREN DRESSED AS PRISONERS WITH ARMS CHAINED IN HANDCUFFS
- Embargoed: 19th May 2012 13:00
- Location: Gaza
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA49216SRZHEX0SC582I4CL6RZZ
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Palestinian youth clashed with Israeli forces on Thursday (May 3) as they demonstrated a display of solidarity with prisoners staging a hunger strike in Israeli jails.
Clashes erupted near Ofer military camp in the West Bank, south of Ramallah, where some Palestinian prisoners are being held.
For 17 days, some 1,400 Palestinian prisoners have staged the mass action over a list of complaints including Israel's administrative detention policy which allows prisoners to be held without trial. Other prisoners have been on hunger strike for much longer, with some going beyond 60 days.
Approximately 100 demonstrators participated in the demonstration, according to the Israeli military, with some carrying Palestinian and Hamas flags. Several youth threw stones at the soldiers who used a variety of means to disperse the crowd including tear gas.
During the clashes a Reuters photographer, Mohammed Turukman, was hit by a rubber bullet and was treated by medics.
In Gaza, hundreds of women also took to the streets in a show of solidarity with those on hunger strike.
"Today we are out on a demonstration in support of our brothers the prisoners who have struggled in the name of God, until we are victorious against our enemies. May God bring us victory again," said protester Umm Abdalla Al Bayouk.
Hamas spokesperson Sami Abu Zuhri arrived at a protest tent where doctors were providing regular checks on dozens of people who have launched their own hunger strike in support of the movement.
Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike are protesting against the use of solitary confinement, difficulty in securing family visits and strip searches that are imposed on visitors.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.