- Title: GERMANY: THREE VIETNAMESE POT BELLIED PIGS GIVE BIRTH TO PIGLETS AT BERLIN ZOO
- Date: 16th July 2002
- Summary: (L!1) BERLIN, GERMANY (JULY 16, 2002) (REUTERS) WIDE OF VIETNAMESE POT BELLY PIGS IN PEN WITH VISITORS WATCHING SMV CHILDREN TOUCHING PIGLETS SMV PIGLETS EATING VEGETABLES (2 SHOTS) SLV MOTHER PIG WITH PIGLETS IN PEN CLOSE-UP OF MOTHER PIG AND PIGLETS EATING (2 SHOTS) SCU (SOUNDBITE) (German) JOACHIM KORMANN, ZOOLOGIST AT BERLIN ZOO SAYING: "Three Vietnamese drooling belly pigs have had little ones recently, a pet race from Vietnam, as the name says. I don't need to tell you either what exactly drooling belly means. Especially the mothers carrying all that milk definitely have drooling bellies." CLOSE-UP OF DROOLING BELLY PIG CLOSE OF PIGLET WITH MOTHER PIG IN PEN TRYING TO DRINK MOTHERS MILK CLOSE OF PIGLETS SCRATCHING THEIR BACKS AGAINST STONE
- Embargoed: 31st July 2002 13:00
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Environment,General,Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA4EIX32CIVNY41X5F75N3AJ860
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Not just one but three Vietnamese drooling belly pig mothers have given birth to a small army of piglets which are currently the highlight at a Berlin Zoo.
Vietnamese drooling belly pigs might not be the prettiest animal to look at - but certainly the most fashionable pet among some of Hollywood's stars.
According to Berlin zoologist Joachim Kormann, drooling belly pigs have indeed become popular pets for several American stars.
The little piglets, born between June 9 and 22 at eastern Berlin's Friedrichsfelde zoo are direct descendants of drooling belly pigs imported from Vietnam to Europe in 1958, Kormann said.
In their native Vietnam they are viewed upon as a Talisman, often portrayed on family and wedding cards, according to Kormann.
The piglets at Friedrichsfelde zoo clearly are a hit among the young visitors who would probably love to take one home as their own pet.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None