- Title: USA: Seal signals "Commitment" with latest album
- Date: 30th September 2010
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (RECENT) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) SEAL SAYING "I write all the time, unfortunately, I write all the time. I write when we're out at dinner. You know we'll be out eating sushi, my daughter loves sushi, we'll be out at sushi and there will be music going around in my head and somebody will say something or ill over hear a conversation and I'll start writing. And, so, I'll either put it down or I'll just be kind of off somewhere else until we get home."
- Embargoed: 15th October 2010 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA4PX992LBY7867O7LMY2GJWZIL
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Grammy Award winning soul and R&B singer Seal is back with a studio album, his seventh. The first single for the new album, "Secret," was released in the U.S. on August 10, 2010.
Seal is best for his romantic ballads and love songs. However, he is equally recognized for his success in the dance/pop music genre. Seal's rise to fame began with his first single, "Crazy," from his debut self-titled album, which became an international hit back in 1991.
According to the 47-year-old singer, it is important to realize that emotions are an international language. "In order to write things of worth, in order to write things that are real and that people will relate to, you have to dig in the dirt because we're all pretty much the same." said Seal. "We have different positions in life but we all pretty much go through the same things."
The album, titled "Commitment," was produced by David Foster, who also worked on Seal's previous studio album, "Soul". While album titles have never been important to him -- a reason many of his albums are self-titled -- Seal does speak to the commitment he has to his wife and their four children and to his work and fans as the inspiration for the tilte.
Seal is unstinting in praise for artists he believes merit attention. "I have a great deal of respect for Kanye West. I think that he's the only one doing anything in that genre of music." said Seal "In fact, I don't even regard him as a hip hop artist, I think he's the only one who is pushing the envelope."
However, Seal believes the current shifts in the hip hop genre are not positive."For the most part, hip hop, which is a great genre of music, but it was great, in the days of 2Pac and, I love that Death Row stuff, and Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre." said Seal. "For the most part, now, it's just trying to hang on."
Seal and his German supermodel wife Heidi Klum are currently producing a reality television show in which couples are given the opportunity to renew their vows. Seal and Klum themselves have renewed their wedding vows every year since they were married in 2005.
Seal's new album, "Seal VI: Commitment", hits US stores September 28.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None