- Title: BRAZIL: BAND OF IPANEMA TAKES TO THE STRETS OF RIO IN A PRE-CARNIVAL CELEBRATION
- Date: 23rd October 2005
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) UNIDENTIFIED PARTICIPANT SAYING: "This is a very unique moment of the year and it is the moment for utopia." (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) UNIDENTIFIED PARTICIPANT SAYING: "This is happiness my love, the happiness of Rio's carnival."
- Embargoed: 7th November 2005 12:00
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Arts
- Reuters ID: LVA4XI7MT8W5ZEGH2WA6BU87XA6Q
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Brazil's Band of Ipanema takes to the streets of Rio in a pre-carnival celebration.
The Band of Ipanema took to the streets of Rio de Janeiro in the Ipanema district on Saturday (January 22, 2005) in what has become their traditional pre-carnival celebration ahead of the city's world-renowned pre-Lentin celebration.
Wearing colourful costumes and dancing to the sounds of samba, Brazil's national dance, revellers paraded through the streets of Ipanema.
"This is a very unique moment of the year and it is the moment for utopia," one participant said.
The Band of Ipanema debuted in 1965 following the country's military dictatorship. The group was founded by Albino Pinheiro.
Traditionally, the Band of Ipanema's carnival kicks off Rio's Carnival festivities two weeks before the official start of the celebration and usually features the most colourful parade of drag queens.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None