- Title: IRAQ: THREE IRAQIS KILLED BY LANDMINE INTENDED FOR COALITION FORCES
- Date: 15th January 2004
- Summary: (W7) TIKRIT, IRAQ (JANUARY 15, 2004) (REUTERS AGENCY POOL) (NIGHT SCENES) LV OF WRECKAGE OF BUS SEEN FROM TANK; CRATER IN GROUND NEAR BUS SLV/SV U.S. SOLDIERS AROUND WRECKAGE; U.S. SOLDIERS LOOKING FOR EVIDENCE INSIDE BUS; U.S. SOLDIERS USING TORCHES (10 SHOTS) CU U.S. LIEUTENANT COLONEL STEVEN RUSSELL OF 4TH INFANTRY DIVISION, 122BATTALION, SHOWING A PIECE OF SHOE LEFT BEHIND SLV SOLDIERS SEARCHING WRECKAGE (2 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 30th January 2004 12:00
- Location: TIKRIT, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflict
- Reuters ID: LVA50HHRWY9RTWRN1MBGQRMOHR8S
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Three Iraqis killed by landmine intended for coalition forces.
Three Iraqi civilians were killed and one was injured when a landmine exploded on Thursday (January 15, 2004) under a bus in Tikrit, Saddam's hometown.
The bus was driving to the university carrying students when the blast happened. The driver took a short cut between two highways north of the city and hit a landmine meant for coalition forces, sources at the scene said.
U.S. troops from the 4th Infantry Division, 122 Battalion, searched the scene by torchlight for evidence, finding personal effects of the dead and injured.
The injured man was seriously ill and taken to hospital in Tikrit. The bodies of the three dead had also been removed by the time cameras arrived at the scene.
The violence came as tens of thousands of Shi'ite Muslims in the southern town of Basra marched against US-occupation chanting "No to America" and in support of Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani's call for elections.
An aide to their spiritual leader warned of bigger protests if Washington rejected the majority group's call for elections.
Iraq's U.S. governor Paul Bremer will meet President George W. Bush in Washington on Friday as tensions mount over a U.S. plan to hand sovereignty to Iraqis by July without holding the direct elections the long-oppressed Shi'ites are demanding.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None