- Title: FRANCE: Jubilant French athletes arrive home to thousands of supporters
- Date: 14th August 2012
- Summary: CROWD GATHERED
- Embargoed: 29th August 2012 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA569V1Z4U44DCAQ4GAB3GYNQD7
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Thousands turned out to cheer on the French Olympic athletes as they drove around the streets of Paris on Monday (August 13) to celebrate their performance in the London 2012 Olympic games.
The athletes arrived home to a rousing welcome after a solid performance at the Games.
The French brushed aside disappointment of having lost the chance to host the games in Paris, and won 34 medals including 11 gold, the last one coming in handball on Sunday night.
Renaud Lavillenie who soared to pole vault gold was among the athletes on one of the busestop of the bus.
French judoka Lucie Decosse who also garnered success with a gold in the women's 70 kg category celebrated as well.
Teddy Riner, France's judo star was crowned champion at the games and his excitement was plain to see as he rode alongside his fellow athletes with Queen's 'We Will Rock You' playing in the background.
Riner, very recognisable for the crowds along Paris' Champs Elysees, said the parade reminded him of when Fraance won the Football World Cup in 1998.
"It's just crazy, I can't describe this, we left the games and what was magical but to see all the French on the Champs Elysees like this is even more magical, it takes me back to France 1998 when I was a little boy," he said.
France's swimmers were the most successful at the games with 4 golds, 2 silvers and 1 bronze.
France ended London 2012 in seventh position with a total of 34 medals - 11 golds, 11 silvers and 12 bronzes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None