- Title: IRAQ: Gunmen attack British fuel tanker in Basra
- Date: 22nd May 2007
- Summary: (EU) BASRA, IRAQ (MAY 21, 2007)(AG POOL) TRAVELLING SHOT OF SMOKE RISING IN SKY TANKER ON FIRE AND BLACK SMOKE BILLOWING FROM IT MORE OF TANKER ON FIRE AND THICK BLACK SMOKE FIRE ENGINE AND FIREMEN COMBATING FIRE TANKER ON FIRE AND BLACK SMOKE BILLOWING FROM IT BLACK SMOKE FUMING FROM TANKER BRITISH ARMOURED VEHICLE DRIVING PAST THE BURNING TANKER (SOUNDBITE)(Arabic) WITNESS, SALAM, SAYING: "Gunmen attacked a British convoy of vehicles and a tanker and two were killed". BRITISH ARMOURED VEHICLES DRIVING PAST THE BURNING TANKER
- Embargoed: 6th June 2007 13:00
- Location: Iraq
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: War / Fighting
- Reuters ID: LVA58723FYJZLXHZ9P257UQL7G4E
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Gunmen opened fire on a British convoy in Iraq's southern port city of Basra on Monday (May 21) , setting a fuel tanker ablaze.
The attack took place in Twessa area in the centre of Basra, a predominantly Shi'ite city and witnesses said that two British soldiers were killed.
Television footage showed the tanker engulfed in flames and thick black smoke fuming from it as firemen were trying to extinguish it.
"Gunmen attacked a British convoy of vehicles and a tanker and two were killed," said Salam, an eye witness.
There was no official statement from the British military.
Attacks on British forces have been rising and April 2007 was the deadliest month since the 2003 invasion. Britain is in the process of cutting its force in Basra to 5,500 from 7,000 and drawing back most troops to the international airport.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None