- Title: RUSSIA: BARCELONA ACTOR PEP BOU AND HIS THEATRE OF SOAP BUBBLES
- Date: 8th June 2003
- Summary: SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PEP BOU, FOUNDER AND DIRECTOR OF SOAP BUBBLES THEATRE, SAYING: "The soap bubbles are like small animals, they have their own life and that's what I like about the bubbles. One has to treat them with great tenderness, otherwise - puff - and they are gone."
- Embargoed: 23rd June 2003 13:00
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA633TZ3TP16NR5BFSOS84V2H4G
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: It's hard to find a child who has not spent hours and days making bubbles out of soapy water. Barcelona actor Pep Bou spent the last 20 years of his life blowing bubbles and playing with them.
An architect by education, Pep Bou at an early age decided to become an actor. He started off as a drama actor in his native Barcelona. Then performed as a mime and only six years later, in 1982 created his own Theatre of Soap Bubbles.
As most children, he used to love playing with bubbles and when a child he could perform quite complicated tricks.
Later the idea to use bubbles, combined with light, music, smoke and pantomime, lead him to the creation of his own theatre.
His troupe is very small - only four people and only two of them - Pep and his assistant appear on the stage. But, of course, the main characters of his performances are bubbles, that, according toPep, must be treated like live creatures, otherwise the performance will never succeed.
"Soap bubbles are like small animals, they have their own life and that's what I like about the bubbles. One has to treat them with great tenderness, otherwise - puff - and they are gone" - says Pep while blowing a big bubble and playing with it.
On stage Pep Bou delivers the most complicated and indigenous tricks with a marvellous sense of humour.
Wide variety of tricks, from blowing one bubble inside another, playing badminton with bubbles or juggling with them is performed with a very simple tools: glass pipes, rackets and an aquarium filled with soapy water.
"I use just ordinary tab water, of course soapy water.
I don't want to add anything to it to make them [bubbles] live forever. Because bubbles they are very dynamic and changing creatures, and that's what my performance is based on - to show how they came into being, how they exist and how they disappear. As for my secrets - they are not many. I use ordinary soapy water , like all the children do."
In twenty years of its existence the Theatre of Soap Bubbles has gained wide international recognition and won awards at various theatre festivals around the world.
Pep Bo came to Moscow to take part in the 5th International Chekhov Theatre Competition with his "Bufaplanetes" show.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None