- Title: BELGIUM: EU foreign ministers gather in Brussels for urgent Egypt talks
- Date: 21st August 2013
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (AUGUST 21, 2013) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EU COUNCIL BUILDING SIGN READING (Latin): "COUNCIL" EU FLAGS
- Embargoed: 5th September 2013 13:00
- Location: Belgium
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA66TTPZHNYI25Z0TCB5PGGZCC3
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: European Union foreign ministers held an emergency round table meeting in Brussels on Wednesday (August 21) to discuss how to force Egypt's army-backed rulers into finding a peaceful compromise with supporters of deposed President Mohamed Mursi.
Options likely to be discussed include cutbacks in Europe's 5 billion euro package of grants and loans promised last year, as well as a possible arms embargo against Egypt, EU envoy Bernardino Leon said ahead of the meeting.
Egypt, the most populous Arab country, is enduring the bloodiest internal conflict in its modern history as the army, which deposed Mursi on July 3 after huge protests against him, cracks down on his Muslim Brotherhood.
The upheaval is causing global jitters, but no consensus on how to respond has emerged in the West or the Arab world.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None