- Title: GERMANY: THE RESIDENTS OF BONN TAKE TO THE ICE ON EUROPE'S LARGEST SKATING RINK
- Date: 13th December 2004
- Summary: (L!1) BONN, GERMANY (DECEMBER 12, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (NIGHT SCENES) EXT: OF ICE RINK WITH CHRISTMAS TREE IN FOREGROUND GV: LOGO FOR "BONN ICE" WS/ZOOM OUT: CHILDREN STORMING ONTO ICE RINK WS: CHILDREN ICE SKATING
- Embargoed: 28th December 2004 12:00
- Location: BONN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA6CO7K7GXF87GHL34RHLEAEWTU
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Germans are taking to the ice on Europe's largest skating rink.
Thanks to the open-air events arena in Bonn having a roof, German skaters can slide along the ice at the outdoor rink in any weather. And with around 100,000 lights illuminating the 1,000 square meters, hundreds of avid skaters came on Sunday (December 12) to do just that.
"With the lights it's really nice for the children,"
Tanja Gemein said as she skated round with her daughter, "it makes a really nice atmosphere, a christmassy atmosphere."
"What is special is that it is so beautifully decorated, Sebastian Leopold told Reuters. "And that it's free! it's good value, the atmosphere is good and it's not too crowded."
For those needing refreshment after doing their turns on the ice-rink, there is also a 70 metre long ice bar.
"The bar here is also good, you don't have to skate all the time, you can rest a bit too," Leopold said. You do, however, have to skate to the bar, but the hot mulled wine provides skaters with the strength to skate back again.
Skating fans can try their skills for free right into the new year, they only have to pay a deposit on the skates.
"The best is that the children have great fun," said Helmut Wickesheimer. "We have celebrated a birthday here today, and have come with a lot of young girls who are eager to get back to skating".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None