- Title: EGYPT: Counting begins in Egypt's historic elections.
- Date: 30th November 2011
- Summary: ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT (NOVEMBER 29, 2011) (REUTERS) ARMY GUARDING ALEXANDRIA STADIUM WHERE VOTE COUNTING OCCURS VARIOUS OF VOTE COUNTING WORKERS VARIOUS OF VOTE COUNTING WORKERS PREPARING LISTS FOR VOTE COUNTING VARIOUS OF VOTE COUNTING CLOSE OF BALLOT VOTE COUNTING VARIOUS CLOSE UPS OF BALLOT COUNTING FRESH BALLOT BOXES UNLOADED OFF TRUCK
- Embargoed: 15th December 2011 12:00
- Location: Egypt, Egypt
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA6EFRZACC3EDQGZYIHL923SJB6
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Vote counting has begun in the initial phase of Egypt's historic elections, the first since the overthrow of former president Hosni Mubarak.
Vote-counting began across Egypt on Tuesday (November 29), as the initial phase of the country's first elections since the overthrow of former president Hosni Mubarak reached its climax.
Election workers in Cairo and Alexandria began sifting through a bigger than expected number of ballots after a two-day vote on Monday (November 28) and Tuesday that drew what is expected to be a healthy turnout.
The count attracted an excited crowd in the Zamalek district of Cairo. Observers from political parties argued with security guards at the counting centre, worried that they would not be allowed in to observe the count.
Tempers calmed after the observers were admitted to the count.
Monday and Tuesday's elections were largely peaceful, despite fears that violence responsible for the deaths of 42 people in the run-up to the poll would mar the electoral process.
Late on Tuesday, however, there was trouble in Cairo's Tahrir Square. Unidentified youths hurled petrol bombs into the square, the centre of a sit-in protests against Egypt's ruling military council.
It was unclear who threw the petrol bombs and what motivated them, but state television said the clash had involved street vendors. Earlier, there were scuffles involving the street vendors in the square.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None