- Title: CYPRUS: Ballots are counted in Cyprus presidential elections
- Date: 18th February 2013
- Summary: NICOSIA, CYPRUS (FEBRUARY 17 2013) (REUTERS) ELECTORAL OFFICIAL DESCRIBING HOW THE VOTING WILL TAKE PLACE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE BALLOT BOX AND OVERTURNING THE BALLOT BOX AND EMPTYING THE BOX ELECTORAL OFFICIALS MOVING TO SIT TO START COUNT ELECTORAL OFFICIALS AROUND TABLE FOR COUNT VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS GATHERING BALLOTS VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS SORTING THE BALLOTS BALLOTS BEING SORTED VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS COUNTING THE BALLOTS AND NOTING THEM VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS COUNTING VARIOUS OF VOTING STATION WITH COUNTING UNDERWAY
- Embargoed: 5th March 2013 12:00
- Location: Cyprus
- Country: Cyprus
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA6GT1GIOID5GCJO81DT5905YF4
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Polls closed and ballot boxes were emptied for the count in presidential elections in Cyprus on Sunday (February 17) where early results showed the pro-bailout frontrunner Nicos Anastasides with a stong lead.
Anastasiades led with a 45.3 percent share of the vote with 83 percent of the votes counted, Interior Ministry data showed, making a second round likely.
The 66-year-old lawyer, who is in favour of a quick bailout deal with European Union and International Monetary Fund lenders to avert a Cypriot bankruptcy, must have the backing of over 50 percent of voters to avoid a run-off a week later.
Leftist rival Stavros Malas, who is backed by the Communist party AKEL, was following in second place while independent candidate George Lillikas was third, according to the initial results.
More than 545,000 voters were to cast their ballot on Sunday, where the emphasis is on the tiny island's economy after Cyprus asked for a bailout rescue loan and must now negotiate the terms with internaitonal lenders without rocking the eurozone.
The voter turnout was large with more than 80 percent casting a ballot.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None