- Title: SOUTH KOREA: FOOTBALL/SOCCER: South Korean fans confident of World Cup progress
- Date: 6th December 2013
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (DECEMBER 6, 2013) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF THEATRE IN SEOUL PICTURES OF NATIONAL FLAGS OF NETHERLANDS, ITALY AND ENGLAND PEOPLE WALKING IN DRAW RESULT VENUE VARIOUS OF SOUTH KOREAN SOCCER FANS VOTING FOR DRAW RESULT EVENT VENUE VARIOUS OF FANS WATCHING SCREEN DRAW RESULT ON SCREEN VARIOUS OF FANS CHEERING AFTER HEARING DRAW RESULT (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) 21-YEAR-OLD SOUTH KOREAN SOCCER FAN LEE HYUN-SEO SAYING: "I think it's good. At least we are not running into some tough teams like Brazil. So I think the result is very good and our team will have good results if players try their best." "GROUP H" ON SCREEN VARIOUS OF FANS LAUGHING (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) 35-YEAR-OLD SOUTH KOREAN SOCCER FAN LEE HAN-KOO SAYING: "We have Russia in our draw group. Although the team is very hard to deal with, but I think our team will reach the round of 16 and 8." VARIOUS OF FANS WRITING WISHES ON SOCCER BALL FOR 2014 WORLD CUP
- Embargoed: 21st December 2013 12:00
- Location: Korea, Republic of
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA6OMQ3JJJ9I7MDWHBP32XC4L2T
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: South Korean soccer fans are "satisfied" after the 2014 World Cup draw result groups their team with Russia, Belgium and Algeria.
South Koreans soccer fans were satisfied with the World Cup draw on Friday (December 6) which saw their team matched against Belgium, Algeria and Russia.
Hundreds of fans packed into a Seoul theatre to watch the draw from Brazil live and were happy to have avoided hosts Brazil and other favourites to win the tournament.
"I think it's good. At least we are not running into some tough teams like Brazil. So I think the result is very good and our team will have good results if players try their best," said 21-year-old South Korean soccer fan Lee Hyun-seo.
Some fans consider Russian as the key rival in the group.
"Although the team is very hard to deal with, but I think our team will fully reach at the round of 16 and 8," said 35-year-old South Korean soccer fan Lee Han-koo optimistically.
South Korea, ranked 54th in the world, secured an eighth successive World Cup finals berth. They reached the semifinals in the 2002 World Cup finals, which they co-hosted with Japan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None