- Title: FRANCE: Heat wave-hit France tries to keep cool.
- Date: 19th August 2012
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MOTHER AND DAUGHTER PUTTING SUN CREAM ON
- Embargoed: 3rd September 2012 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Environment,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA80379PDQPE6WJHQZ7HELRSR4
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: An unusual late heat wave engulfed France on Sunday (August 19) with record temperatures in some parts of the country.
French authorities have issued an "orange" warning over a large part of central France.
In Paris, holiday makers and local residents were flocking to the capital's fountains to cool themselves down.
"It's actually nice weather, there is a little cool breeze here so it's lovely. And we can even go for a dip if need be," said one Parisian Frank.
French weather forecaster Meteo France said the heat wave in southerwestern France which started Friday was unusual for the time of year as it came late for the season.
Temperatures rose 5 to 7 degrees Celsius day-on-day to up to 39 degrees Celsius (102 Fahrenheit), with most of the country above 30 degrees.
The record for the day was in the central France Indre region where 42,3 Celsius (108 Fahrenheit) was recorded on Sunday.
The heat wave, which Meteo France said would be less severe than during the summer of 2003, when 14,800 people died in France, should last until at least Sunday with temperatures easing as from Monday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.