- Title: LEBANON: ARMS SHIPMENTS ARRIVE FROM THE UNITED STATES.
- Date: 18th January 1982
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON GVs Armoured personnel carriers (APC's) being unloaded by crane. (2 SHOTS) 0.16 GV Jeep being lowered to ground. 0.19 GV APC being lowered to dockside as workers look on. (3 SHOTS) 0.48 SV APC being driven away with bren gun on transporters. (2 SHOTS) 0.56 GV Soldiers standing on top of APCs lined up on dockside. 1.02 GV Bren gun being driven away and APC being driven away. (2 SHOTS) 1.20
- Embargoed: 2nd February 1982 12:00
- Location: Lebanon, Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflict,General
- Reuters ID: LVA8B782IXWU6T7NIMY7YV468DV5
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: BEIRUT, LEBANON
The Lebanese Army has received a further shipment of heavy arms from the United States, unleaded in Beirut on Saturday (16 January). The shipment included armoured personnel carriers and bren guns and is part of a US military aid package to the government of Elias Sarkis. The Lebanese army of 25,000 men is trying to control a country largely run by private armies on the Christian right and Muslim left. The United States is a supporter of a strong central government in the country, and apart from supplying hardware has helped with the training of officers.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - ELIE AZZI</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None