- Title: IRAQ: USA FORCES FIRE ROCKETS AT IRAQI POSITIONS NEAR NASSIRIYA
- Date: 21st March 2003
- Summary: (U4) 10 KM FROM AL NASSIRIYA, IRAQ (MARCH 21, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) VARIOUS OF MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHERS BEING PREPARED (3 SHOTS) SCU US. SOLDIER VARIOUS, MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHER AIMING AND FIRING (2 SHOTS) SLV SOLDIER SIGNALING TO CREW MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHERS BEING RELOADED VARIOUS OF MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHERS FIRING GREAT CLOUDS OF SMOKE (4 SHOTS) SCU (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED SOLDIER SAYING: "Roger, I'd say his targets were against the enemy artillery and rocket fires. Today's targets were based on the enemy artillery and rocket fires. They were shooting at our ground forces, so we fired in to suppress and destroy their artillery and their rocket fires before they could shoot back at our troops." SLV GROUP OF SOLDIERS TALKING WIDE OF ROCKET LAUNCHERS IN DESERT (U4) IRAQ, 5-10 KM FROM KUWAIT BORDER, ON THE ROAD TO BASRA (MARCH 22, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) VARIOUS, TROOPS AND ARMOURED CONVOY PASSING (4 SHOTS) SLV SIGN READING 'UM QUASR' WITH TANKS PASSING BEHIND SLV MILITARY VEHICLES PASSING ON EMBANKMENT WITH IRAQI PRISONERS OF WAR IN BARBED WIRE ENCLOSURE IN FOREGROUND VARIOUS OF IRAQI PRISONERS OF WAR (FACES SEEN) SLV OF PICKUP TRUCK CONTAINING INJURED WOMAN ARRIVING AT ROADBLOCK VARIOUS OF TRUCK / INJURED WOMAN /SOLDIERS TRYING TO HELP (3 SHOTS) VARIOUS OF CONFISCATED WEAPONS LYING ON ROAD /TRAFFIC DRIVING PAST (2 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 5th April 2003 13:00
- Location: 10 KM FROM AL NASSIRIYA, IRAQ / IRAQ, 5-10 KM FROM KUWAIT BORDER, ON THE ROAD TO BASRA
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflict,International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA8EC63FZ4EQIQ3HRMB4U1FQDIH
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: United States forces have fired rockets at Iraqi positions as they pushed their way north towards the southern Iraqi town of Nassiriya.
On Saturday (March 22) the U.S.-led forces had captured Nassiriya, where their initial advance deep into Iraq was halted a day before.
A United States (U.S.) military spokesman at U.S. Central Command headquarters in Qatar announced that Nassiriya had fallen, but declined to give further details.
A U.S. officer near Nassiriya said the forces had secured a bridge over the Euphrates river west of the city. He said they had established checkpoints at both ends.
The bridge is a key crossing point for invading forces as they push towards Baghdad, about 320 km (200 miles) away to the northwest through the fertile plain between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers -- an area known as Mesopotamia.
On the road to Basra, U.S. marines of the 3rd Infantry division built a checkpoint. As British tanks passed by on their way northwards, Iraqi prisoners of war that had been rounded-up on Friday night (March 21) were confined by small enclosures of razor wire.
One wounded Iraqi woman arrived at the checkpoint on her way to hospital. She was believed to be a casualty of an air strike.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None