- Title: WEST INDIES: MUHAMMAD ALI WEIGHS IN FOR 'DRAMA IN BAHAMA' COMEBACK BOUT.
- Date: 11th December 1981
- Summary: SV Muhammad Ali in white robe walking to weighing in scales CU Trevor Berbick on scales (2 shots) CU Ali watching as scales measured (2 shots) CU Ali's weight announced CU Berbick speaking Ali speaking SPEECH (TRANSCRIPT) TO END BERBICK: (SEQ 5) "I got to be concerned about it you know. I'm a performer and I'm supposed to get paid but I need some guarantee like usually, you know, before I get in the ring. And I just hope my man here, brother James, can get a little money for me. It's not much you know but it won't be any problem. Ain't going to be no problem. Okay, ain't going to be any problem at all." ALI: (SEQ 8) "It is time to be serious, I can be serious and this is a serious problem. And it is no time for playing and I'll never get this chance again, that chance of going down a s the greatest athlete, not boxing, in history. I can make so many people wrong, so many writers that keep cool, I have so many people to beat not just Berbick. So I'll not have extra time to clown for you." BB
- Embargoed: 26th December 1981 12:00
- Location: NASSAU, BAHAMAS, WEST INDIES
- Country: Bahamas
- Topics: General,Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA8G76KBUBMQDV2WXVPH4TSGR3P
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: INTRODUCTION: Three-time former World Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Muhammad Ali, weighed in for his latest comeback bout on Thursday (10 December). One month before his 40th birthday Ali takes on 28 year-old Jamaican-born Canadian Trevor Berbick in Nassau, capital of Bahamas, on Friday (11 December). The local press have dubbed the contest as the 'Drama in Bahama' but Ali seems unable to pull in the crowds like he used to: many seats remain unsold.
SYNOPSIS: Ali looked uncharacteristically glum and serious as he approached the weigh-in. He wants to win the fight before making an unprecedented attempt at a fourth world title.
His opponent, Berbick, appeared more concerned with the financial arrangements. He hopes to receive 300,000 dollars for the bout but says he has had no guarantee of payment. Berbick weighed in at 98.88 kilograms (218 pounds).
Ali, who is fighting for a one-and-a-half million dollars purse, then got on the scales....
HOLD SOUND CUE AT 37 SECONDS
...after which both fighters spoke to newsmen.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None