- Title: USA: Jay Sean knocks Black Eyed Peas off the top spot
- Date: 19th October 2009
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 14, 2009) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) SINGER JAY SEAN, SAYING: "I concentrated more on writing great songs that can stand the test of time. I studied people that I fell in love with years ago. I looked at Michael Jackson songs and I thought, how can a Michael Jackson song till this day still sound this fresh and sound so good? It's because take away everything else it's just a great song. It's not oh, that was the sound of then, it's just great music and that's what I concentrate on doing now."
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2009 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA8IZSXA49KRUNB8YDCV2CO95RW
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: British sensation Jay Sean is getting "Down" in the U.S. The R&B star's sultry single has already been in the #1 spot on the Billboard 100 chart and continues to hover around the top slot.
"I mean that was incredible just because I'm a newcomer here in America. Nobody knows me, I'm brand new and I think definitely, for the last 6 weeks Black Eyed Peas have been looking at the charts going who is this guy, why is he on our tail?"
While "Down's" hook is the kind that gets people on their feet, Jay Sean says he was actually in a serious mood when he wrote the song.
"I wrote it because I switch on the news and everything is so depressing. I'm a very happy go lucky person and I'm like, okay, if I have the ability to write a song and that song can maybe lighten people's mood for three minutes, that's a wonderful thing," he said.
To date, Jay Sean is the first British artist to be signed to hip hop label Cash Money. And while things are done a little differently in America, Jay says he's not giving in to any pressure to change his image.
"My pants might be tighter than some baggy jeans American rappers wear. But that's me that's what I do and that individuality is what is very important to me."
With two albums already under his belt, Jay says his next album is about songs that can stand the test of time.
"I looked at Michael Jackson songs and I thought, how can a Michael Jackson song till this day still sound this fresh and sound so good? It's because take away everything else it's just a great song. It's not oh, that was the sound of then, it's just great music and that's what I concentrate on doing now."
So keep your eyes open, Jay Sean's "All Or Nothing" will hit stores on November 24th.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None