- Title: POLAND: Man arrested in Poland after holding three young Israelis hostage
- Date: 5th May 2008
- Summary: COACH CARRYING JEWISH YOUNGSTERS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 20th May 2008 13:00
- Location: Poland
- Country: Poland
- Reuters ID: LVA8LZ8TL1CRZ3Q9MAMWWXK02MF2
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Polish police arrest a 23-year-old man identified only as Mohammed A. after he takes three young Israelis hostage in a hotel in central Warsaw.
Polish police arrested a 23-year-old man identified only as Mohammed A. after he took three young Israelis hostage in a hotel in central Warsaw on Monday (May 5).
The people held in the Holiday Inn room were Jewish youngsters who had been taking part in the annual March of The Living event at Auschwitz and Birkenhau last Thursday (May 1), which commemorates the Jewish loss of life suffered at the hands of the Nazis before and during the Second World War.
Police spokesman Marcin Szyndler said: "A few minutes after 9am we were notified that in one of the hotel rooms a young man barricaded himself in with three hostages. When the police got there they were told that the person wanted to blow himself up together with his three hostages. The police entered the room and arrested the man. He did not show resistance and he did not have any explosives. The room was checked by technicians who did not find any explosives."
The deputy president of the March of the Living organisation, Aharon Tamir, expressed his relief that nobody was harmed in the incident.
"The group that stays here now at the hotel is a group from 'March of the Living', young Jewish people from countries abroad; from Brazil; Argentina; many countries. I can't tell you any more, but everything is OK.
Nobody was hurt and the police will investigate and we will know it from the Polish authorities."
Police evacuated the hotel and searched it, while the arrested man has been detained for questioning.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None