- Title: ARGENTINA: TOP ARGENTINE CHEFS COOK UP FEAST FOR THE ANIMALS AT BUENOS AIRES ZOO
- Date: 29th April 2004
- Summary: (L!1)BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (APRIL 29, 2004) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CHILDREN ARRIVING AT THE ELEPHANT ENCLOSURE COOKS PUTTING A TRAY WITH FRUIT INSIDE THE ENCLOSURE ELEPHANTS LEAVING THEIR CAGE TO GET NEAR TO THE FOOD CHILDREN WATCHING VARIOUS OF ELEPHANTS EATING THE BASKET AND THE FRUIT VARIOUS OF BEAR ENCLOSURE WITH SPECIAL FOODS, BEARS EATING FOOD VARIOUS OF BEARS EATING AND PLAYING WITH THE DE OSOS COMIENDO Y JUGANDO CON LOS ALIMENTOS VARIOUS OF FOOD BEING OFFERED TO THE TORTOISES VARIOUS OF TORTOISES EATING SHELLS OF BREAD OFFERING FOOD TO THE SURICATES VARIOUS OF SURICATES SMELLING AND BURYING THE FOOD SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) JOSE SCHIAFFI, ZOO NUTRITIONIST, ASKED ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GIVING ANIMALS THEIR USUAL FOOD AND GIVING THEM SPECIAL FOOD, SAYING: "The animals even adopt another attitude towards eating, they look like they're having fun. It's a special day and I, as I work with them every day, see that it's a different day for them and notice a different attitude." TRAY OF FISH FOR THE SEALS VARIOUS OF SEAL EATING COOKS APPLAUDING THE SEAL SEAL SALUTING THE COOKS AND ITS MINDER
- Embargoed: 14th May 2004 13:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Environment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA8PHLD33CMD9X6F2AQYHDF6ZWN
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Top Argentine chefs cook up a feast for the animals at the Buenos Aires Zoo.
The elephants are tucking into seasonal vegetables with coloured breads, while the bears are munching on muffins.
April 29 is Animal Day in Argentina, a special day for animals throughout the country, and those living in the Buenos Aires Zoo are enjoying the party.
Guests of honour at the feast, the zoo's inhabitants, among them elephants, bears, tortoises, suricates and seals, were treated to elaborate dishes prepared by teachers from a local culinary school to celebrate their day.
While the animals in the zoo enjoyed delicacies like giant bread bones stuffed with fresh ham for the tigers, or trays of fish on blue ice for the seals, munching, eating and in some cases burying the special food, the zoo's nutritionist Jose Schiaffi observed their enjoyment.
"They look like they're having fun," said Schiaffi.
"It's a special day, and I see that it's a different day for them and notice a different attitude."
April 29 was chosen as Animal's Day in Argentina to commemorate one of the country's foremost animal rights defenders, Doctor Ignacio Lucas Albarracin, who passed away on this date. Albarracin was co-founder of the Argentine Society for the Protection of Animals along with former president Domingo Faustino Sarmiento.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None