- Title: UKRAINE: Thousands of protesters march to Ukrainian president's residence
- Date: 29th December 2013
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (DECEMBER 29, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BY CARS PREPARING TO DRIVE TOWARDS RESIDENCE OF PRESIDENT VIKTOR YANUKOVICH OUTSIDE KIEV MAN PLACING EU FLAG ON CAR FRONT PROTESTERS BY CARS PREPARING TO DRIVE TOWARDS RESIDENCE OF PRESIDENT VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DRIVING TOWARDS YANUKOVICH'S RESIDENCE WOMEN IN UKRAINIAN TRADITIONAL DRESSES APPLAUDING AS CARS WITH PROTESTERS DRIVING BY VARIOUS OF CARS WITH PROTESTERS CARS PASSING BY TRAFFIC POLICE TRAFFIC POLICE ON HIGHWAY RIOT AND TRAFFIC POLICE CHECKING AMBULANCE MEZHEGORYE, UKRAINE (DECEMBER 29, 2013) (REUTERS) PROTESTER GETTING OFF CARS WALKING TOWARDS TRUCK WHICH IS BLOCKING ROAD PROTESTERS TALKING TO TRAFFIC POLICE PROTESTER IN TRUCK'S CABIN TRAFFIC POLICE TRUCK DRIVING OFF ROAD, PROTESTERS APPLAUDING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING TOWARDS YANUKOVICH'S RESIDENCE PRIEST WALKING NEXT TO CAR WITH PROTESTERS PROTESTERS' CARS PARKED BY ENTRANCE TO SETTLEMENT WHERE PRESIDENT VIKTOR YANUKOVICH LIVES PROTESTERS MARCHING TOWARDS YANUKOVICH'S RESIDENCE VARIOUS OF TRUCK AND RIOT POLICE BLOCKING ROAD LEADING TOWARDS YANUKOVICH'S HOUSE PROTESTERS ON STREET
- Embargoed: 13th January 2014 12:00
- Location: Ukraine
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA94MR4H7LKP0JQ6CJTI2TEBO3V
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Thousands of Ukraine's anti-government protesters march towards President Yanukovich's residence outside Kiev.
Thousands of anti-government protesters in Ukraine marched towards the residence of Viktor Yanukovich outside Kiev on Sunday (December 29).
Protesters got into cars decorated with EU and Ukrainian flags in central Kiev and drove towards Mezhegorye, 15 km north of the capital, where president lives.
Activists removed a truck which was blocking the road towards Mezhegorye and continued their drive.
After parking their cars in the nearby village long column of protesters headed towards Yanukovich's home, surrounded by large numbers of riot police.
At the same time on Kiev's Independence square tens of thousands opposition supporters gathered to express their outrage with an attack on an opposition activist and investigative journalist Tetyana Chornovil.
Chornovil, 34, was chased down by car and beaten shortly after midnight on Wednesday, hours after posting pictures on her blog of a country home she said belonged to Interior Minister Vitaly Zakharchenko.
The attack threatened to breathe new life into more than a month of opposition protests in the capital, Kiev, over a decision by the government in November to spurn a landmark pact on closer ties with the European Union and turn instead to former Soviet master Moscow.
However turnout at rallies has diminished over successive weekends from hundreds of thousands to tens of thousands.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None