- Title: HAITI-IN SPACE: Haiti's tent dwellers await arrival of Tropical Storm Isaac.
- Date: 24th August 2012
- Summary: CAMP WITH CLOUDS OVER IT
- Embargoed: 8th September 2012 13:00
- Location: Haiti, In Space
- Country: Haiti
- Topics: Disasters,Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA9CXGT2FX7YYZC4EN8QHGA5FVQ
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Tropical Storm Isaac strengthens as it heads towards Haiti.
As clouds gathered over the Tapis Rouge tent camp northeast of Port-au-Prince on Friday (August 24), residents worried there was no contingency plan if Tropical Storm Isaac battered the country with strong winds and rains.
The storm is expected to make landfall in Haiti later on Friday.
Tapis Rouge camp leader Jean Flaubert said the camp's 4,000 residents could only optionwait and hope.
"A member of the IOM (International Organisation of Migration) entered the camp and wanted to start an evacuation and I objected because there is no plan of where they are going to relocate the people from this camp," Flaubert said.
Nature would determine the fate of Tapis Rouge, he said.
"We only have one place to shelter just some of the people of this camp in case things get bad. This is our only option."
Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, still has at least 350,000 people living in tents or makeshift shelters more than two-and-a-half years since a devastating earthquake that killed more than a quarter of a million people.
The impact of a big storm could be devastating.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None