- Title: BELGIUM: Robbers seize gems worth 350 million euros at Brussels Airport
- Date: 19th February 2013
- Summary: ZAVENTEM, BELGIUM (FEBRUARY 19, 2013) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BRUSSELS AIRPORT 'BRUSSELS AIRPORT' SIGN POLICE OUTSIDE AIRPORT AND PASSENGERS WALKING BY TWO POLICEMEN WALKING IN CAR PARK VAN USED FOR TRANSPORT OF VALUABLES PARKED OUTSIDE AIRPORT VAN WITH WORDS (Dutch): 'VALUABLES TRANSPORT' WRITTEN ON IT VAN PARKED OUTSIDE AIRPORT AIRCRAFT ON TARMAC PEOPLE ENTERING AIRPORT ENTRANCE HALL OF AIRPORT INFORMATION BOARD WITH DEPARTING FLIGHTS SWISS AIR ON DEPARTURES BOARD
- Embargoed: 6th March 2013 12:00
- Location: Belgium
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA9F3USKNCGS95SVIXZ9R9KOTR5
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Armed robbers seize diamonds worth 350 million euros while the gems were being loaded onto a plane at Brussels Airport.
Armed robbers stole diamonds worth 350 million euros ($467 million) while the gems were being loaded onto a plane at Brussels Airport on Monday (February 18) evening, Belgian state broadcaster VRT reported.
Two vehicles carrying four armed men drove up to a security van near the Swiss passenger plane, officials said.
Both vehicles sped off after the robbery and one of them was later found, said officials, who would not comment on what was taken.
The robbers managed to get onto the tarmac after breaking through the fence that surrounds the airport, a spokesman for Brussels Airport said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None