- Title: GERMANY: SOAPBOX RACE ATTRACTS CURIOUS MIXTURE OF MAN-MADE VEHICLES
- Date: 22nd May 2004
- Summary: (L!1) LEIPZIG, GERMANY (MAY 16, 2003) (REUTERS) SPECTATORS ARRIVING FOR SOAP-BOX DERBY SOAP-BOXES AT SITE PAN ACROSS SPECTATORS AND START RAMP SOAP-BOX RACING DOWN RAMP AND DRIVING PAST (SOUNDBITE) (German) HOMANN ULBRICHT SAYING: "We have participated for nine years now and last year we decided to build one together. Then we sat together about three weeks ago and did all the planning and we finished early this morning." TWO SOAP-BOXES APPROACHING AND RACING AGAINST EACH OTHER TRACKING SHOT OF SPECTATORS LITTLE CHILDREN WATCHING THREE YOUTHS PUSHING PAST SOAP-BOX PEOPLE ADMIRING PORSCHE SO CALLED SOAP-BOARD ENTRY CLOSE-UP OF PORSCHE SOAP-BOARD WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (German) ARND STOLLMANN SAYING "It was produced by Porsche Engineering and has participated in various charity races for orphans in the U.S. This is the first race here in Europe." PORSCHE SOAP-BOX RACING DOWN RAMP SPECTATORS WATCHING AND APPLAUDING TWO SOAP-CARS CRASHING INTO EACH OTHER AT START PEOPLE APPLAUDING SPECTATORS WATCHING MOBILE FOOD STAND SOAP-BOX DRIVING PAST SOAP-BOXES RACING PAST HIGH SHOT OF CROWD TWO CYCLIST RACING PAST POLICEMAN WITH RADAR GUN CHECKING SOAP-CARS SPEED (3.53)
- Embargoed: 6th June 2004 13:00
- Location: LEIPZIG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA9L7B8D6EXKXI9E1ACVJ374G0N
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Soapbox race attracts curious mixture of man-made vehicles.
The derby in the eastern German city of Leipzig on Sunday (May 16) did not have any winners, or losers, since the main purpose of the race was simply to have fun.
Warm weather conditions added to a great family day out in the sun as hundreds of cheering spectators lined up by the course along the downward slope of the Fockeberg, an artificial pile of rubble left after World War II.
Porsche's entry, a sleek one-seater so called soap-board, "was produced by Porsche Engineering and has participated in various charity races for orphans in the U.S.", Porsche employee Arnd Stollmann told Reuters Television.
"This is its first race here in Europe."
Soap-box designer Homann Ulbricht, wearing an uncomfortable-looking wig, said "we have participated for nine years and last year we decided to build one together."
"Then we sat together about three weeks ago and did all the planning and we finished early this morning."
The thirteenth soap-box derby was organised by a Leipzig culture centre and consisted of various disciplines such as pushing soap-boxes up hill, down hill with the aid of a ramp and a time trial on top of the Fockeberg "peak".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None