- Title: FRANCE: NICOLE KIDMAN FILM "MOULIN ROUGE" OPENS THE 54TH CANNES FILM FESTIVAL
- Date: 9th May 2001
- Summary: HOTEL DU CAP, CAP D'ANTIBES, FRANCE (MAY 09, 2001) (REUTERS) (EDS- PLSE NOTE STRONG LANGUAGE) SCU (SOUNDBITE) (English) EWAN MCGREGOR TALKING OF JIM BROADBENT: "I'd seen him a couple of times on television and he was from that moment on, somebody that I would have dreamed to work with, he's an extraordinary actor and really in my thinking somebody I would have given my left arm to work with and then I was in the airport on the way over to do Moulin Rouge, and I was sitting in the lounge and Jim Broadbent walked in and sat down and I said how are you doing Jim, where are you going? He said I'm going to Australia. I said well I'm going to Australia what are you doing there? And, he said I'm making a film with you, you ****'. (MCGREGOR LAUGHING)
- Embargoed: 24th May 2001 13:00
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA9P3PMTNHL68WU2F2VG3PIDQMC
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: "Moulin Rouge", the blockbuster chosen to open the 54th Cannes Film Festival in the exotic south of France, has been given a critical thumbs up.
The movie, an extravagant costume musical, is set in 1899 Paris, at the famous Moulin Rouge, home of the can-can.
It's been billed as a "unique comic-tragic" love story.
Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor are the stars of the film, directed by Baz Luhrmann, responsible for major hits such as "Strictly Ballroom" and "William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet." Kidman portrays Satine, the Sparkling Diamond, star of the Moulin Rouge and the city's most famous courtesan. Ewan McGregor is a writer named Christian who finds himself plunged into the decadent world, where he falls in love with Nicole.
Audiences were stunned at the movie's music Luhrmann turns his back on contemporary tunes from the era. Instead, he uses modern pop successes, such as "Your Song" by Elton John, to pepper the soundtrack. Other artists featured include Madonna, Jose Feliciano, David Bowie, and Massive Attack.
Kidman is certainly putting on a brave face, after the heartache of splitting from her husband, Tom Cruise, and suffering a miscarriage. The couple had just celebrated their tenth wedding anniversary at the end of last year, when Cruise announced that the marriage was over. Kidman is refusing to talk publicly about the split but has admitted to feeling some strain promoting this film. Cruise himself is taking legal action against an American gay porn actor who alleges he had an affair with the film star.
In any case, Kidman herself did something very unusual at the premiere of the festival : instead of mounting the red-carpeted steps, she turned abruptly and greeted cheering fans, kept back by metal barriers.
The film screening was followed by an official dinner, and then a lavish party, with a centrepiece recreation of the Moulin Rouge itself.
"Moulin Rouge" has already been tipped by industry insiders as a front runner for the coveted Palme d'Or.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None