- Title: GERMANY: TRADITIONAL HORSE AND SLEIGH RACES HELD IN BAVARIAN TOWN
- Date: 20th January 2002
- Summary: (L!1)ROTTACH-EGERN, GERMANY (JANUARY 20, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) VARIOUS VIEWS BAVARIAN FOLKLORE SHOW BEFORE THE RACE, MEN PERFORMING ROUTINE WITH WHIPS, ACCORDION PLAYERS (2 SHOTS) SLV MEN PERFORMING WHIP ROUTINE GV , CROWD WATCHING VARIOUS, ALPINE HORN PLAYERS (3 SHOTS) SCU HORSES WITH DECORATED BRIDLE IN FRONT OF SLED
- Embargoed: 4th February 2002 12:00
- Location: ROTTACH-EGERN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA9UC9OTQOS1M1ML8MGZIOUTZJF
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: More than 2,000 equestrian fans came to watch the traditional horse and sled races in Bavaria's picturesque town of Rottach-Egern.
More than 60 competitors entered the races, which have become a tradition in the region.
The race has been held on an 800-metre track on a field outside Rottach-Egern every year since 1966. Rules regarding which kinds of horses may enter the race, and what kinds of sleds are allowed, are very strict and based on old traditions. Only Oberland, Haflinger and Pony breeds may take part.
Most importantly, the horse may not be driven with without the persuasion of a riding crop.
"It's a lot of work to turn them into race horses. You have to constantly work with the horse, but without a whip,"
said competitor Sylvia Oswald.
Historically, Bavaria was a very rural area, and horses played a large role in the economy. Before cars and snowploughs were invented, sleds were the most reliable method of transportation in the winter. Working horses pulled sleds full of hay, wood, bread and people, in order to earn their keep on the farms.
Today, the races are fun for everyone and the winners in each class are awarded with an original cow bell and a ribbon of silk.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.