- Title: THAILAND: Hundreds of Rohingya migrants discovered in south
- Date: 11th January 2013
- Summary: LOCALS PROVIDING ROHINGYAS WITH MEDICINE ROHINGYAS SITTING OUTSIDE VARIOUS OF ROHINGYAS WALKING DOWN A HILL ROHINGYAS SITTING IN FRONT OF ANOTHER HUT THAI OFFICIALS VARIOUS OF WEAPONS AND A COMPUTER ON GROUND ROHINGYAS SITTING ON FLOOR BEING KICKED BY UNIDENTIFIED PERSON WASHING ON LINE
- Embargoed: 26th January 2013 12:00
- Location: Thailand
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: People,Social Services / Welfare
- Reuters ID: LVAA2ISAQ94YIATDXLFJZLOWOBEN
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Thai officials found around 400 Rohingya Muslims living in makeshift tents near the Malaysian border in Songkla, Thailand on Thursday (January 10) .
Police conducted two raids at a warehouse and a rubber plantation in the southern province.
They say the Rohingyas were illegal workers living there for several months waiting to be trafficked across the border to Malaysia.
Thai immigration officials are preparing to deport the group, which included women and children, back to Myanmar.
Rohingyas are officially stateless in the predominantly Buddhist country.
The Myanmar government regards the estimated 800,000 Rohingyas as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, and not as one of the country's 135 official ethnic groups, and denies them citizenship.
More than 100,000 Rohingyas have been displaced in violence between the Rohingyas and Rakhine Buddhists last June and October.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None