- Title: BELGIUM: EU foreign ministers agree to put greater pressure on Syria
- Date: 23rd July 2012
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (RECENT) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EU COUNCIL BUILDING EU COUNCIL SIGN BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JULY 23, 2012) (EBS) HUNGARIAN FOREIGN MINISTER JANOS MARTONYI ENTERING MEETING ROOM FOREIGN POLICY CHIEF CATHERINE ASHTON WALKING INTO MEETING ROOM BELGIAN MINSTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS DIDIER REYNDERS, LUXEMBOURG FOREIGN MINSTER JEAN ASSELBORN AND SPANISH STATE SECRETARY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS FOR SPAIN GONZALO DE BENITO ASHTON SIGNING A DOCUMENT ASHTON TALKING SLOVENIAN FOREIGN MINISTER KARL ERJAVEC AND AUSTRIAN FEDERAL MINISTER FOR EUROPEAN AND INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS MICHAEL SPINDELEGGER TALKING CYPRUS FOREIGN MINISTER ERATO KOZAKOU MARCOULLIS TALKING TO ASHTON MINISTERS GETTING READY FOR MEETING ITALIAN FOREIGN MINISTER GUILIO TERZI DI SANT-AGATA LISTENING BRITISH FOREIGN SECRETARY WILLIAM HAGUE SITTING DOWN START OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS MEETING
- Embargoed: 7th August 2012 13:00
- Location: Belgium
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVAA9A6TLL9X03U8ZX4KJE3TF57M
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: European Union governments agreed on Monday (July 23) to strengthen their arms embargo and increase sanctions against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, as the conflict between his government and rebels escalates into civil war, EU officials said.
At a meeting in Brussels, EU foreign ministers imposed asset freezes and travel bans against 26 more people and banned EU companies from doing business with three more entities, expanding the lists of targets of EU measures.
In addition, under new embargo rules, EU governments will be required to search airplanes and ships suspected of carrying weapons or other banned equipment into Syria.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None