- Title: RUSSIA: Heavy snow covers Moscow, disrupts traffic
- Date: 21st January 2013
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JANUARY 21, 2013) (REUTERS) PILES OF SNOW WITH BOLSHOI THEATRE IN BACKGROUND SCULPTURE ABOVE BOLSHOI THEATRE ENTRANCE COVERED IN SNOW PILES OF SNOW TRACTOR CLEARING SQUARE FROM SNOW KARL MARX STATUE COVERED IN SNOW TRUCK LOADED WITH SNOW IN FRONT OF KARL MARX STATUE TRACTOR PUTTING SNOW INTO SNOW-MELTING MACHINE MUNICIPAL WORKER CLEARING SNOW OFF BENCHES TRAFFIC PASSING BY EMERGENCY MINISTRY TENT ON SIDE OF STREET EMERGENCY MINISTRY WORKER AT FIELD KITCHEN PUTTING PORRIDGE IN PLATE FOR MUNICIPAL WORKER TRACTOR CLEARING SNOW OFF STREET PEOPLE WALKING IN SNOW VIEW OF KREMLIN AND HISTORICAL MUSEUM COVERED IN SNOW MUNICIPAL WORKER CLEARING SNOW OFF STREET KREMLIN TOWER IN SNOW SIGN "NO BIKES" ON LAMP POST AT ENTRANCE TO RED SQUARE TRAFFIC ON STREET STREET LIGHTS
- Embargoed: 5th February 2013 12:00
- Location: Russian Federation
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVAAPLVFL25BK4SGAH2GPKR9KCC8
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: STREETS: Muscovites fought their way through heavy snow on Monday (January 21) morning which paralysed traffic in parts of the Russian capital.
Municipal services and Emergency ministry staff have been clearing snow off the streets for days following heavy snow last Friday.
Meteorologists predicted that snowfall which started late on Sunday (January 20) will cover Moscow with up to 18 centimeters of snow by Monday afternoon.
Thousands of workers with snow ploughs and trucks have been deployed to clean the streets from snow. Russia's Emergency ministry set up tents and field kitchens across Moscow for municipal workers to warm up, eat and rest.
Airports worked normally on Monday morning, experiencing only minor delays. Weather forecasts predict more snow in Moscow in the coming days.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None