- Title: FILE: Amanda Bynes's attorney says the actress not mentally fit to stand trial
- Date: 25th September 2013
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) VARIOUS OF BYNES IN COURT
- Embargoed: 10th October 2013 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVAAQPS5G3NMT5ZHD0169V60UO0R
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The drunk driving case against troubled actress and former teen star Amanda Bynes has been moved to the mental health court at the request of her attorney, a Los Angeles judge ruled on Tuesday (September 24).
Attorney Richard Hutton argued that the 27-year-old star was unable to stand trial in the case due to doubts about her mental competence.
Bynes has been under court-ordered psychiatric care after she allegedly started a small fire in front of a home in the Los Angeles suburb of Thousand Oaks in July.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward Moreton referred the case to the court's mental health division where a judge will then decide if Bynes is fit for trial, the court said.
Her drunk driving case stems from an April 2012 incident in which she was charged with driving under the influence in West Hollywood. Police said Bynes struck a sheriff's patrol car and refused to take a sobriety test.
Bynes pleaded not guilty last year to the driving under the influence charge.
Her next court date in the case is scheduled for January 07.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None