- Title: ECB-BLOCKUPY Blockupy protest directed against new ECB headquarters
- Date: 22nd November 2014
- Summary: FRANKFURT, GERMANY (NOVEMBER 22, 2014) (REUTERS) BUILDING OF NEW ECB HEADQUARTERS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND TILT DOWN TO PROTEST VARIOUS OF CHANTING PROTESTER INFERNO OF ECB HEADQUARTERS WITH PLACARDS POLICE DEMONSTRATORS HOPPING OVER THE WALL POLICE SECURING ENTRANCE AND PAN TO DEMONSTRATORS MORE POLICE SECURING BUILDING AND PAN TO DEMONSTRATORS PROTESTERS AND POLICE OUTSIDE OF BUILDING TILT DOWN FROM BUILDING TO PROTEST
- Embargoed: 7th December 2014 12:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAAU8WX8PEL4SDG916U51VJA619
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The new European Central Bank (ECB) building currently under construction in Frankfurt was the target of a demonstration of some 2,000 anti-capitalist demonstrators from the Blockupy movement on Saturday (November 22), protesting against austerity measure of the EU troika (EU commission, ECB and International Monetary Fund (IMF).
The demonstrators marched with moving boxes to the building site, symbolising the mount of papers generated by the ECB and "belonging to the rubbish tip of the world", as Blockupy said on their website.
Blockupy accuses the troika of a "policy of impoverishment" towards EU crisis states like Greece.
According to the Frankfurt police, about 80 demonstrators climbed the fences around the building site and unveiled placards. Some officers were kicked and attacked by pepper spray, the police said.
The move of the ECB is scheduled to be finished by the end of November.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None