- Title: VIETNAM: WAR PLANES SUPPORT U.S. GROUND UNITS IN LARGEST CAMPAIGN OF WAR
- Date: 24th February 1967
- Summary: DAU TIENG PROVINCE VIETNAM (22 FEBRUARY 1967) (REUTERS) Planes bombing area, U.S. troops on patrol, more planes, more troops walking along road. M high shot Plane dives over jungle MS-pan Jungle area LS Same - smokey MS-2 shots Troops moving into jungle area MCU Troops moving into underbrush MS Same M high shot Plane dives over jungle MLS Jungle-smoke-troops moving (0.52)
- Embargoed: 11th March 1967 12:00
- Location: Dau Tieng Province, S. Vietnam
- Country: Vietnam
- Reuters ID: LVAB04IFPGE7EJHWUM388RFH3K37
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: U.S. fighter bombers are providing concentrated support for U.S. ground units involved in Operation Junction City -- the largest United States military campaign in the Viet Nam war.Operation Junction City was launched in great secrecy on Wednesday (22 February).
About 45,000 U.S. troops are in this campaign, which is taking place in Dau Tieng province, near the Cambodia border and 70 miles northwest of Saigon.
Seven hundred U.S. paratroopers were dropped near the Cambodia border to complete a planned trap of, which the U.S. believes might be, 10,000 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong troops.
Dau Tieng province, also known as War Zone "C", is believed to be the central military headquarters of the Viet Cong.
In this film, U.S. war planes are shown straffing and bombing an area relatively close to United States infantrymen, a platoon of "B" Company, First Battalion, 28th Regiment, First Infantry division. The platoon is shown moving along a road to join another platoon of the same company, which was hit hard by a Viet Cong unit. The two platoons were to try to find and destroy the Viet Cong which staged the commando raid.
Two battalions of South Vietnamese Marines are also involved in Operation Junction City.
The U.S. Military Headquarters in Saigon reports that in the first 48 hours, U.S. casualties have been very light; that its forces have met only light resistence.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None