- Title: JAPAN: A NEW ELEPHANT FROM INDIA MAKES ITS DEBUT AT THE ZOO IN TOKYO
- Date: 1st May 2001
- Summary: CU PULL OUT SLV OLDER ELEPHANTS LOOKING AT SURYA MCU CHILDREN SINGING "THE ELEPHANT SONG" PAN FROM CHILDREN TO PEOPLE CLAPPING
- Embargoed: 16th May 2001 13:00
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Environment,Quirky,Politics,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAB2ZGLBX7OF5VEMY7NBLYYLPHT
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: A new elephant from India has made its debut at the zoo in Tokyo, much to the delight of children and their parents.
Seven-year-old Surya, decorated with flowers and colourful cloth, was led out of the shed on Tuesday (May 1) by zoo keepers as dozens of children, both Japanese and Indian, watched and clapped.
The female elephant was a gift to Japan from India and the first elephant in nearly two decades to come to the zoo.
"We hope that the children of Japan will accept this gift and the spirit in which it has been made and we hope the love and affection the Japanese children will give this elephant will be transmitted in some ethereal way back to the children of India and this will grow into something that they will be able to cherish when they grow up as I have seen with men of my generation who think with much affection and nostalgia about Indira," said Aftab Seth, Indian ambassador to Japan.
India first presented Japan with an elephant named Indira a few years after World War Two to replace the elephants which had been put to sleep during the war.
Surya, which means "sun" in Hindi, is the fourth elephant Japan has received from India.
After children from neighbouring schools sang "The Elephant Song", a popular children's song, they continued to welcome Surya with gifts of apples and carrots.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.