- Title: USA: Madame Tussauds kicks off its traveling Bollywood exhibition in New York
- Date: 7th March 2013
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (MARCH 7, 2013) (REUTERS) DANCERS PERFORMING AT MADAME TUSSAUDS BEFORE UNVEILING DANCERS REVEALING WAX FIGURES
- Embargoed: 22nd March 2013 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts
- Reuters ID: LVAB6UUSVE3559NCWZIOT3WKDUT4
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The sights and sounds of Bollywood took over Madame Tussauds' Times Square location on Thursday (March 7) as the attraction launched its five figure traveling exhibit.
Ten dancers from the AATMA Performing Arts performed a hybrid of traditional and modern Indian dance to celebrate the arrival of the Hindi film legend wax figures.
The exhibit features Shah Rukh, known as the "King Khan" of Bollywood and also one of the region's most popular actors, Indian cinema's leading contemporary actress Aishwarya Rai and award winning actor Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor, who is known for her acting versatility. In addition there was a figure of Amitabh Bachchan, who is considered to be one of the most influential actors in the history of Indian cinema.
"These represent the most iconic and influential film stars of Hindi cinema. And we are so thrilled to actually have them. They cooperated with sittings and unveilings in the past so we were very thrilled to unveil them here at Madame Tussuads New York," said Kieran Lancini, the global external relations manager for Madame Tussuads.
The attraction started over 200 years ago as a traveling exhibit and Lancini said they are thrilled to get back to their roots.
"It's a great chance for us as a brand to get back to that kind of brand ethics and bring the actually traveling exhibitions to the people. Which is something that she did in the past, so this is fantastic for us," he said.
The exhibit will be in New York until July 12th before moving to Hollywood and then Asia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.