- Title: GERMANY: HUNDREDS OF RUNNERS COMPETE IN THE ANNUAL BERLIN "PASTRY RUN"
- Date: 31st December 2002
- Summary: (L!1) BERLIN, GERMANY (DECEMBER 31, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) PAN TO COMPETITORS IN COLOURFUL COSTUMES WAITING FOR FANCY DRESS COMPETITION TO BEGIN PAN IUP COUPLE'S COSTUMES SCU LITTLE BOY DRESSED AS HARRY POTTER IN WIZARD'S HAT SCU WOMAN WEARING DEVIL'S HORNS SLV CHILD DRESSED WITH SKULL MASK WALKING TO PODIUM SCU CHILD WEARING ELEPHANT COSTUME WALKING TO PODIUM CLOSE OF CHILD WITH HARRY POTTER COSTUME WAVING RATTLE CLOSE OF CHILD WITH ELEPHANT HEADRESS SLV / PAN CHILDREN AT START LINE FOR CHILDREN'S RUN WIDE OF START OF RUN CLOSE-UP OF PISTOL BEING FIRED TO MARK START OF 4 KM RUN WIDE OF START OF 6.6 KM RACE SLV PEOPLE RUNNING VARIOUS, OF PEOPLE RUNNING THROUGH WOODS (2 SHOTS) CLOSE-UP OF RUNNERS' FEET BACK SHOT OF RUNNERS IN 6.6 KM RACE RUNNINBG THROUGH WOOD SLV OLD COUPLE WATCHING VARIOUS, RUNNER IN SHORTS PARTICIPATING IN 10 KM RUN RUNNING PAST WIDE OF PARTICIPANTS RUNNING PAST WIDE / PAN SPECTATORS WATCHING RUNNERS (2 SHOTS) SMV SPECTATORS WATCHING SLV UNNERS ARRIVING AT FINISHING LINE SLV WOMAN IN COSTUME AND WITH CHAMPAGNE GLASS WALKING PAST SMV PARTICIPANTS EATING DOUGHNUTS WHICH ARE KNOWN AS A "BERLINER" TO THOSE LIVING OUTSIDE BERLIN WIDE OF FAMILY EATING BERLINERS DOUGHNUTS CLOSE-UP OF GLUEHWEIN AND "BERLINER" IN WOMAN'S HANDS PULLOUT FROM PARTICIPANTS EATING "BERLINERS"
- Embargoed: 15th January 2003 12:00
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVABHJE3WTRKZ6BC9RN42TLJCKQ6
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Hundreds of sports enthusiasts, many in colourful costumes, have competed in the traditional Berlin "Pastry Run."
Runners set off on Tuesday (December 31) on the annual races organised by the Charlottenburg sports club in Berlin.
The runs of varying length for children and adults are named after a particular type of pastry or pfannkuchen that Germans outside Berlin refer to as "Berliners".
After the race, all participants received one of the Pfannkuchen, a type of doughnut filled with jam, and a glass or two of gluehwein or mulled wine.
Before the start there were small prizes for the most colourful costumes worn by children and adults.
Then the competitors set off on events of two (for children), four, 6.6 and 10 kilometre distance through the Grunewald forest of southwest Berlin.
Although competitors ran as quickly as they could to combat the chilly conditions, the events were designed for family entertainment and fitness rather than serious competition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None