- Title: ISRAEL: THE BEAUTY CONTEST FOR BIGGER WOMEN
- Date: 28th December 2003
- Summary: (L!2) BE'ER SHEBA, ISRAEL (DECEMBER 28, 2003) (REUTERS) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) CU/SV CANDIDATE PUTTING ON MAKEUP (2 SHOTS) SV OF CANDIDATES LOOKING IN MIRROR
- Embargoed: 12th January 2004 12:00
- Location: BE'ER SHEBA, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVABMISQF4469TC3NNCP4DSMXGZ8
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: If you are over 80kg, the beauty queen contest for bigger women in Israel's southern city of Beer Sheba is the place to go.
The women getting ready for this contest are not professional models, but they are here to model one thing extra body weight. What was once an alternative beauty contest, has become increasingly more popular, this year in its 9th year.
Out of about 100 candidates who attended the audition for the beauty contest, 20 candidates, women weighing a minimum of 80kg, were chosen to model their bigger seizes.
For some contestants, the oportunity to do so was a dream come true.
"We can eat as much as we want, do not have to go on a diet. We should replace the word diet into healthiness and beauty. I do not encourage fat, but if it exists and it is so beautiful on stage there is no reason why it cannot compete with being thin," contest organizer, Esterika Nagid told Reuters.
20-year-old student Liraz Asayag, weighing 100kg, wept when she was announced as the new beauty queen.
"I am a queen. Starting from today, I will do everything requires. This is a royal year. From now on, people will hear about us and see us," Asayag said with tears in her eyes minutes after being crowned.
Nagid said this year's candidates were amazingly young.
Ages ranged between 18 and 29.
"This year the candidates were younger, you have seen the enthusiastic, simply unbelievable," Nagid said.
When the candidates were asked what they would like to receive as first prize they unanimously replied: a jeep.
One of them explained that women their size simply find it difficult to get into a normal private vehicle.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None