- Title: FILE-: Kanye West charged with battery, attempted theft in airport scuffle
- Date: 14th September 2013
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF KIM KARDASHIAN AND KANYE WEST
- Embargoed: 29th September 2013 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime
- Reuters ID: LVABOJAX8WH4MLC85GJPZ0ZZEGCX
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Rapper Kanye West has been charged with battery and attempted grand theft for an alleged altercation with a photographer at Los Angeles International Airport, a city official said on Friday (Sept.13).
The alleged altercation took place on July 19, Los Angeles City Attorney spokesman Frank Mateljan said.
A video posted on celebrity news website TMZ of the incident shows the Grammy-winning rapper glaring at photographers as he leaves the airport. West confronts one of the photographers and appears to lunge at him.
Mateljan said that West, 36, also attempted to take equipment from the photographer.
Each misdemeanor charge carries a maximum penalty of six months in prison.
West is scheduled to be arraigned in Los Angeles on October 10.
West has become a frequent target of paparazzi after striking up a romance last year with reality TV star Kim Kardashian. The couple welcomed their first child, a baby girl named North West, in June.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None