- Title: JERUSALEM: Jersualem zoo animals keep their cool during winter weather
- Date: 10th January 2013
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JANUARY 10, 2013) (REUTERS) FLAMINGOS GATHERING AS SNOW FALLS ON JERUSALEM FLAMINGOS AT ZOO CLOSER VIEW OF FLAMINGOS FLAMINGO'S LEGS SHAKING / TILT UP TO FLAMINGOS WORKER ALON COHEN AT JERUSALEM ZOO FEEDING ANIMALS FOOD IN BUCKET VARIOUS OF PECCARIES EATING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ALON COHEN, ZOO WORKER, SAYING: "Some of our animals they are very sensitive for this kind of cold - like for example the rhinos, elephants, the hippo; all the animals that come from hot weather. It's kind of difficult for them." WIDE VIEW OF ZOO VARIOUS OF BIRDS INSIDE ZOO (SOUNDBITE) (English) ALON COHEN, ZOO WORKER, SAYING: "We just leave them. We let them stay inside their homes and we put on the heaters. We put one day before much more food for them." VARIOUS OF GAZELLES AT ZOO
- Embargoed: 25th January 2013 12:00
- Location: Jerusalem
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVABOYTLLYXCZ2T7SD3T0R1MBQD7
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Jerusalem zookeepers took special measures to protect the animals in their care during a record-breaking snowfall on Thursday (January 10).
Flamingos were among the few species frolicking outdoors as they were able to withstand the colder temperatures.
Others less familiar with the weather conditions were kept behind closed doors.
"Some of our animals they are very sensitive for this kind of cold - like for example the rhinos, elephants, the hippo," said zoo employee Alon Cohen.
Cohen continued with his work of feeding the animals during the storm but said forecasts allowed them to make preparations ahead of time for the animals who would be less acclimatised to the cold.
"We let them stay inside their homes and we put on the heaters. We put one day before much more food for them," said Cohen.
The worst snowstorm in 20 years shut public transport, roads and schools in Jerusalem and caused a virtual shutdown in activity across Israel and the Palestinian Territories.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None