- Title: USA/FILE: New Yorker Irv Gordon hit his three million mile mark in his 1966 Volvo
- Date: 20th September 2013
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) IRV GORDON DRIVING HIS VOLVO INTO EVENT IRV GORDON HOLDING UP GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR GREATEST RECORDED MILEAGE FOR A CAR AT 2 MILLION MILES
- Embargoed: 5th October 2013 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: General,Quirky,Transport
- Reuters ID: LVABQEO3LZDBFB08602RD411CB23
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The odometer on Irv Gordon's 1966 Volvo P1800 clocked three million miles to solidify his place in the Guinness Book of World Records as the driver with the most miles driven by a single owner of a vehicle.
Gordon bought his red Volvo on June 30, 1966 and has been driving it ever since.
"The day I first bought the car I picked it up on a Friday night and started driving around town and showing it off to all of my friends and local pubs and wherever else, " Gordon said. "Before I knew it, I was up in New Jersey and up in Connecticut and went back to my college in Massachusetts."
He said the qualifications he was looking for in a car was simple: reliability and dependability.
"I was very happy when I figured I got a car that's going to be reliable and dependable, and well I am still driving it today," Gordon said.
On March 27, 2002, Gordon was awarded the Guinness Book of World Records for the greatest ever recorded mileage for a car when he hit two million miles.
In just over eleven years, Gordon was able to add another million to his odometer. He reached three million miles on Tuesday (September 17, 2013) in Alaska.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None