- Title: KENYA: AFGHANISTAN CALLS FOR NEW ENERGY SOURCES AT UNITED NATIONS CONFERENCE.
- Date: 19th August 1981
- Summary: GTV Delegates SV H.E. Hasan Ali Tayeb, head of Afghanistan delegation speaking SV Delegates SV Mohammed Jabir Hassan of Iraq speaking SPEECH ON CASSETTE (TRANSCRIPT) SEQ. 2: HASAN ALI TAYEB: "Being one of the land-locked, least developed countries, we need extensive technical and financial assistance to develop the new and renewable sources of energy, specially for the development of rural areas, where the poorer sections of the population live. Mr. Chairman, the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan strongly supports the development and utilisation of the new and renewable sources of energy, specially for the least developed countries. Depletion of the conventional energy sources, coupled with the growing demand of energy throughout the world, have made it imperative to investigate and develop these sources without delay. We urge the United Nations and other donor countries to extend substantial support to this programme through national and regional projects." SPEECH ON CASSETTE (TRANSCRIPT) SEQ. 4: MOHAMMED JABIR HASSAN: "Iraq, as a developing country, is endeavouring to develop energy sources, including nuclear energy, for peaceful purposes, and the Iraqi nuclear programme coincides with the basics of the Treaty of Non-Proliferation on Nuclear Weapons, which Iraqi has ratified in 1968, and the guarantees, set by the International Nuclear Energy Agency, with which Iraq has signed an agreement in that connection, has brought all Iraqi nuclear activities under the supervision of the agency and met the required guarantees. The Zionist campaign against the Iraqi activities in the field of use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes has paved the way for the perpetration of the Zionist aggression which has been condemned by the international community. The aggression constitutes a flagrant violation for the international system concerning the use and production of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes. BB
- Embargoed: 3rd September 1981 13:00
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: General,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVACCHR2L48Q2E9VCJNJMBA7EUMA
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: INTRODUCTION: A United Nations energy conference in Nairobi, Kenya, has been discussing new and renewable energy sources. Attending were delegates from 140 countries, some rich in energy resources, other not so fortunate. The Afghan delegate called for more assistance from the richer nations to seek new forms of energy.
SYNOPSIS: The Afghan spokesman was His Excellency, Hasan Ali Tayeb.
Iraq's Mohammed Jabir Hassan, also spoke.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None