- Title: GERMANY: WEDDINGS ON UNUSUAL DATE OF 4TH APRIL 2004
- Date: 5th April 2004
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (German) SYBILLE BRENKE, BERLIN REGISTRY OFFICIAL SAYING: "I guess most of them wanted a special date for their wedding day, a day they might not forget so easily. This is definitely a date one can remember." FLOWER BOUQUET (SOUNDBITE) (German) AKADIUS CZERNER, NEWLY WED GROOM SAYING: "We could have gotten married on 5/5/05 but we still wanted to get married this year. And this is another small reason (pointing to his son on his arm) so we decided to get married today."
- Embargoed: 20th April 2004 13:00
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVACE4HKRMH0N4QAM7M294PENHC4
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: German registry officials have worked extra shifts to meet the demands of couples who wanted to get married on 4/4/04.
Several German registry offices on Sunday (April 4) opened their offices in an unusual move as some thirty couples waited to exchange vows in two Berlin local city halls.
"I guess most of them wanted a special date for their wedding day, a day they might not forget so easily,"
registry official Sybille Brenke said, who happily volunteered for the job.
German authorities close on Friday afternoons, some as early as 1 p.m. (1100 GMT) and don't reopen until Monday morning.
Akadius Czerner and his girlfriend Iris, who have been dating for twelve years, decided in January to get married on 4/4/04.
"We could have gotten married on 5/5/05 but we still wanted to get married this year," Czerner said.
And pointing to their little son, he added "and this is another small reason so we decided to get married today."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None