- Title: USA: CHRISTIE'S HOLD ARTS MEMORABILIA SALE
- Date: 21st July 2001
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY,NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JULY 13, 2001) (REUTERS) SCU CROWE'S AXE FROM THE FILM GLADIATOR SCU PORTRAIT ELVIS PRESLEY; MV VARIOUS ELVIS PRESLEY SUITS (5 SHOTS) SCU CABINET WITH VARIOUS MEMORABILIA, INCLUDING GLASSES WORN BY AUSTIN POWERS CLOSE UP POWERS' GLASSES
- Embargoed: 5th August 2001 13:00
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVACHJP4DX8BR6EGIN8H9FIVDUVD
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Oscars, axes and Superman's suit are all on sale next
week in London at Christie's popular arts memorabilia sale.
If you always wanted to win an Oscar, perhaps this is
the most likely way. Christie's in New York have Bette Davis'
Oscar for her role in Jezebel back in 1938 on the block. For
a bid of around 100,000 US dollars you could win the
Davis was one of Hollywood's most glamourous movie
stars. When she died some 15 years ago, she bequeathed her
Oscar to a long time friend. According to Miss Davis' own
story, her winning in 1938 was also responsible for giving the
statuette it's name. She renamed the award from the Academy
of Motion Pictures and Art 'Oscar' since its derriere reminder
her of that of her husband's, Harmon Oscar Nelson.
Also in the sale are items from other Hollywood legends.
"I think that even though she died 15 years ago and
she made films 50 plus years ago that new generations will
always discover her (Davis). I think they will always discover
Marilyn and Elvis Presley. I think they are icons and they
will never go away," Christie's head of the popular arts
department, Margaret Barrett said.
If you have a yearning to know what it felt like to be
in Superman's shoes, they have just the item for you. A whole
Superman costume, including boots, warn by Christopher Reeves
in 1978 is expected to fetch close to 16,000 U.S. dollars.
The axe wielded by super star Russell Crowe in the 2000
movie, Gladiator is estimated to be worth between 1,200 and
1,400 U.S. dollars and there are a couple of suits worn by the
King, Elvis Presley - worn in his movies - while the glasses
worn by Mike Myers in "Austin Powers - Man of Mystery" can be
yours for a bid of 1,000 U.S. dollars.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None