- Title: RUSSIA: Russia holds its annual computer keyboard throwing contest
- Date: 16th August 2003
- Summary: CONTESTANTS THROWING KEYBOARD / BABUSHKA LOOKING AT SMASHED KEYBOARD
- Embargoed: 31st August 2003 13:00
- Location: KRASNOZNAMENSK, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVACI7AIQCWHB0YAY74SSP4OUQO0
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Russia has held its annual computer keyboard-throwing contest.
Over one hundred keyboard hurlers, from sportsmen to IT support engineers on Saturday (August 16), took their turns to gain minor fame and electronic gadget prizes at the keyboard-throw competition outside of Moscow.
Some said the contest was fun, but personal.
"It's unusual and fun. My work is connected with computers so I want to release some energy by smashing up a keyboard," said Tatyana.
Organisers said this was exactly the kind of relief for Russia's growing class of white-class computer workers to let out their cyber-punk impulses.
"When you spend all day long at the computer, you want to go out somewhere and this is a chance to do it. We, the sponsors and organisers, think this is a great start for cyber-punk culture in Russia. It's great fun," said contest organiser Andronic.
For next year, the record to beat is now 17.5 metres.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.