- Title: RUSSIA: DISABLED ARTIST PAINTS BY MOUTH
- Date: 27th December 2000
- Summary: ZHELEZNOGORSK, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 27, 2000) (REUTERS -ACCESS ALL) SV KATYA SITTING IN THE WHEEL-CHAIR IN FRONT OF EASEL MCU/CU KATYA MIXING THE PAINT WITH HER MOUTH (2 SHOTS) SV KATYA'S MOTHER JULIA SET UP THE PICTURE CU/MCU KATYA PAINTING WITH THE BRUSH IN HER MOUTH (4 SHOTS) SLV KATYA PAINTING CU OF PARROT IN CAGE MCU (RUSSIAN) YULIA TURUNTSEVA - KATYA'S MOTHER "When I am in a bad mood, or have headache,which happens usually after meeting the officials who have to help Katya, I watch at her pictures and think that she managed to create such beautiful pictures being paralyzed, I forget about my problems" SLV MOTHER TAKES KATYA OUT OF HOUSE CU OF DOG SV/MCU KATYA AND HER SISTER DASHA DECORATING CHRISTMAS TREE (3 SHOTS) SLV DASHA PUSHING KATYA'S WHEEL-CHAIR ALONG THE STREET MCU (Russian) KATYA TURUNTSEVA "I saw the oil picture in the gallery and ask my mother to buy paints. I tried to paint two years ago and I liked it". SV KATYA'S PAINTINGS ON WALL MCU (Russian) KATYA TURUNSEVA "I couldn't paint with my hands and tried to do it with the mouth and managed this." CU OF PAINTINGS (2 SHOTS) CU/MCU KATYA MODELLING THE SCULPTURES (3 SHOTS) CU OF RAT IN CAGE SV/CU KATYA PAINTING THE SCULPTURE OF SNAKE (3 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 11th January 2001 12:00
- Location: ZHELEZNOGORSK, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Arts,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVACRET4QBCSQEN41XNCLZ2PK1OP
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Disabled artist Katya Turuntseva had accepted the challenge, survived and become quite famous for her unique skill.
Katya Turuntseva was born partially paralysed. Two years ago discovered painting by mouth.
The girl made remarkable progress in her hobby and has already had several personal exhibitions in her native town Zheleznogorsk (500 km to the South of Moscow).
She prefers to paint landscapes and is dreaming of an artist's future. Once a week Katya takes drawing lessons at home, preferring to paint in oil.
Katya's mother Julia still struggles for her daughter's future,trying to get aid from local officials.Turuntseva's family survive on 1300 rubles (45 $)a month. When there is not enough money for paints Katya makes sculptures out of dough, pleasing her friends with hand - made characters.
Katya, like many other disabled people in Russia does not get proper aid from the state. Only when Katya had disclosed her unique skill in front of local news camera, she got some attention from officials in charge.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None